Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Frozen cookies, nougat and Irises


I don't really know if this is the forum for this subject, and maybe, in a day or two, you may come to see that this entry is missing ... Still, for now, it seems proper, it seems right.

My Mr.'s grandma passed away today. Being so far away from family, it doesn't seem real. It seems like we'll return to our previous home and discover life the way it was when we left - as though it's been suspended in a time capsule. But it won't be,and that's that.

When I think of Grandma, I remember frozen cookies, nougat and beautiful flowers, particularly Irises ... However, in remembering Grandma, one memory stands out above the rest ... And so, let the story begin ...

When the Mr. and I were engaged, he brought me over to his Grandparents home so they could meet his future bride. I was nervous and I think they were, too. This conversation ensued:

Grandma: "You know, my dad didn't really like people of color."

Me: "Really?" ...

Grandma: "Yeah, he even used the N word."

Me: "Oh ..."

Grandma: "But I don't feel that way about colored people and I've never used that word."

Me: "Okay ..."

I laugh each time I think of that conversation - it's a little baffling to think such an exchange took place, but it did. Today, I replayed that moment in my head and I saw something new ...

Like other Grandma's and in her own special way, she was welcoming me into the family and ensuring I knew of her acceptance. Each Grandma has a way of making people feel comfortable, and that was her way. What I remember and cherish most, is that comfort. Thank you, Grandma, for helping me feel comfortable in your home. When we have a garden, we'll plant beautiful Irises and each time we look upon them, we'll think of you.

7 comments:

  1. very sweet, I hope you don't remove this. I hope you plant many irises and remember her often.
    YOu know now is the time to separate iris...if you know someone that has one(anyone I've ever known loves to share a start with someone else), you could plant some now and they will be up in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that was very beautiful! I think it's good you shared these memories of her with us. that's how we keep our loved ones sprits alive.

    big hugs of comfort to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about the sad news, that is always hard. What a nice tribute though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for the loss. I like the story about her though, it is always nice to have a special memory of someone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet. It's nice to replay memories and feel something brand new, like irises. Plant away...
    And I empathize with John, I do hope he has safe travels this weekend and that he has an uplifting time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry. But it is the memories that are wonderful that you will always have to treasure.

    ReplyDelete