Wednesday, June 9, 2010

These Kids

These kids watched "The Princess Bride" for the first time during FHE.  
I have a new favorite activity:  observing my children as they experience the movies I loved as a kid.


These kids like to play with vampire teeth.  Has anyone else noticed how vampires have been reintroduced as part of our pop culture?  The Mr. and I did not teach our children about blood sucking, nocturnal monsters, they learned about them from friends at school.  Actually, the older one did.  We don't think the younger one is up to date on that subject of pop culture (perhaps we are underestimating her cultural awareness; then again, she's 2).


Speaking of the older kid ... Yesterday, this conversation ensued:

B:  "Mom!  MOM!  Come down here!  Something terrible is going on!"
Me, running down to the basement, heart pounding and slightly apprehensive:  "What's wrong?"
B:  "This is terrible!  There is oil in the ocean!  Look at President Obama!"
Me:  "Huh?"

He was watching MSNBC and learning about the BP spill in the Gulf.  Where did this incredible kid come from?  What 6 and 1/2 year old seeks out something like MSNBC?  I think it was the pictures of the ocean that lured him in ... 

Me:  "Yeah, that is terrible.  Let's change the channel and watch something a little happier.  Better yet, why don't you color or read a book ..."

These kids are more aware than I ever imagined.

2 comments:

  1. It's always a little scary when you realize how much your kids understand what's going on! Makes me wish I could speak spanish to Kevin so that some things can stay secret :)

    Just wait til B gets a little older and starts eavesdropping on you and the Mr., then asks you questions about the conversation and wonders why your bugged at him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those pictures. It amazes me how much kids pick up on things & at a young age. We had one of *those* mornings trying to get out of the house today & C looked at me as I hastily buckled her into the carseat & said, "you fustrated, momma? i give big hugs. i wuv you." Who can resist that?

    ReplyDelete