Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Mrs. and the Country Store

It's been awhile since we've posted about dinner conversations.  Be forewarned, I may be rusty.  We'll see ... 

The Preface:  The ward in which we live has unwittingly asked the Mr. and I to be Activities Directors.  We've been heading Activities for sometime.  This Saturday is Pioneer Day.  For the activity, we're planing to play some games.  One of the games is a gunnysack race.  For the game, we decided to buy burlap sacks.  So, I went to a country store or farm store.  (The following conversation took place between myself and the store clerk - I'm sure she'd be called ... farm store technician? or FST):

Me:  "Do you have burlap sacks?"
FST:  "Yes, they're 99 cents a sack.  How many do you want?"
Me:  "8."
FST, smiling:  "Okay, you probably don't want anything else, right?"
Me:  "Probably not."

So tonight at dinner, as we're sharing the events of our day, I verbally question my diffidence in patronizing country/farm stores.  I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.  Today felt even more awkward - I confess, the awkwardness could stem from my inability to figure out where I was supposed to park.  [There were no marked stalls, there were no other cars and there was a sign saying, "please reverse into the loading dock".  What?!  So I drove in and out of the parking lot until I noticed where the cars were (in the back, behind the fence where from the street, the only visible vehicles were tractors ... Tramatic.  Even more, when I entered the store, I noticed all the FST's had a clear view of my blunder (the check out counter is right next to a large panel of windows).  Oh well.] 

Dinner conversation:  

Me:  "Do I look like I wouldn't belong in a place like that?"
Mr.  "I don't know."
B:  "You know, Mom, maybe it's because you're brown."

I can't relay the rest of the conversation because I was laughing so hard ...

Here's a picture from this evening. Do we really look like we don't belong there?

     (So you know, we realize skin color wasn't a factor ... The next subject of conversation explained the preceding, but wasn't as entertaining, so I left it out of the post.)

2 comments:

  1. ha! Good story. I think you could be a farmer even though you are brown. Maybe it's because you don't say Warshburn that you don't fit in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. racial profiling at the country store? And what else are burlap sacks used for anyways?

    ReplyDelete