Saturday, August 14, 2010

The "Good Mom"

What does that mean?  What is a good mom?  Does she spend all day playing, reading, teaching and talking with her children?  Does she make sure the laundry is done, the sink is clear of dishes, the bathrooms are sanitary and the house is organized?  Does she make food from scratch every meal?  Does she sew clothes, can food, garden, sing, play the piano and set up play dates?  Does she always speak to her children in a whisper that sounds like she is constantly wearing a helium mask, even when she's ready to pull out her hair?  Is she completely independent, never asking her husband for help around the house?

To be honest, I have no idea what a good mom is.

Let me clarify: I have no idea how to perfectly define the doings of a good mom.  I'd like to think all of it can be done.  I constantly remind myself that it CAN be done, but can't be done the way I want (bummer) ...

Here's the truth:  The laundry isn't done, it's managed (barely).  We have dishes to eat on, utensils to eat with and cups to fill with drinks.  We can't eat food off the bathroom floor (who would do that?!), but it's sanitary - the trash is taken out and I prefer my own to any public toilet (I know how it's cleaned).  We have cans of soup, Ramen and blue boxes of Kraft deliciousness in our pantry.  I don't sew clothes, canning food intimidates me, I don't have a garden.  I don't always whisper and I don't own a helium tank (how irritating would that be?).  My husband helps much more than I think he should.  I don't spend all day playing and reading with my children, but I hope I teach and talk to my children about good and uplifting things ...

The thing about all of the stuff I'm doing is this:

The rewards of what Mom's do don't come for days, months, maybe even YEARS.

Perhaps it's the lack of instant gratification that can bring such discouragement.

So here's the epiphany and perhaps the beginning of a definition ... Maybe a good mom is one that depends on FAITH to tell her it's all worth it.  In addition, maybe she uses that FAITH to energize her and tenaciously keeps working.  Instead of focusing on instant gratification and the lack there-of, maybe a good mom thinks about the fact that it's worth it, trusts that everything will turn out okay and keeps doing.

So tomorrow, I will play.  I will read.  I will teach.  I will talk.  I will do all those things I do ... Why?  Look at these kiddies, they're totally worth it!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. P,

    I have on occasion come to look at your cute blog to see what you guys are up to. Just wanted to comment on this post. You are a wonderful mother and I am so grateful for this message today. None of us are perfect, all we can do is our best. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amor... I never comment, but. You rock! You are such an example to me in so many ways. I love how I can always count on you to keep it real, and despite our shortcomings recognize the great things that happen every day. Thank you for being such a great friend, and mom.

    ReplyDelete