Monday, November 29, 2010

Anticipating a birthday and celebrating another

In our home, the day after Thanksgiving is observed with two traditions.

#1:  The boys go fishing.  Fishing they went, but unfortunately, not a single fish was caught.  (I wonder if one was seen.)  Better luck next time, boys.
#2:  Christmas.  The day after Thanksgiving is my favorite because it's time to set up Christmas decorations.  People who have known me for sometime, know how giddy I become in anticipation for Christmas.  I think I'm more excited for the day after Thanksgiving than my own birthday.  Sometimes, my birthday falls on the day after Thanksgiving ... When that happens, the day is pretty perfect.  

We begin by opening some boxes and setting up the tree.  


This is all done while watching the Christmas movies which have been stored for a year.  This year, we watched The Grinch (Jim Carrey version).  I keep thinking we should store the Christmas movies with the rest of our collection, but the Mr. thinks it would ruin all Christmas movies for me because I'd watch them so frequently. I think his logic is a little less altruistic than it first appears.  Maybe he's worried he'd tire of them.  (I love you, my Mr.!)

After the tree is up, it's time to hang the ornaments.  Most of our ornaments have a story and it's always fun to talk about what each represents and reminisce.  I love this time of year!


This year, Little Miss learned how to hang ornaments.  Maybe next year, she'll learn to hang them on different branches.  (Upon observing the following, B said:  "Eew!  It looks like the nutcrackers are kissing.")  Lucky for me, Little Miss was unaffected by the change I made after she went to bed.  I separated those "kissing" nutcrackers and the picture of myself in 2nd grade.  (Even though I rearranged the ornaments, I was so happy watching her carefully and gently place each ornament on the tree.  Just FYI.)


After the ornaments were placed, B put up the star.


A few days later, I celebrated my birthday.  It was a quiet and restful day.  The kids showered me with new jewelry and the Mr. got me a game.  My parents and the Mr.'s parents also gave me gifts ... Thank you!!  


For my cake, I got to eat a slice of chocolate deliciousness.  My friend gave me this cake - she made it and I don't think this picture does it justice.  It is soo delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! What a delicious, fun celebratory weekend!

    I can't wait to put up our tree & have C help this year. It's so fun that our little ones are big enough to "get it" this year, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love watching how kids decorate a Christmas tree. Mine constantly redecorate ours!

    I'm glad you had a great birthday and got to rest for a minute :) That cake looks yummo!!

    ReplyDelete