Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Nutcracker and The Transiberian Orchestra

Right now, I'm waiting for the candy I poured into molds to harden so I could take them out and make another batch of lollipops.  As I wait, I'm listening to fine Christmas music including selections from the Nutcracker and Transiberian Orchestra.  Christmas music, sets the tone and making special treats only adds to the excitement.

Last Sunday, the Mr. and I made caramels.  We wrapped over 300 and had to stop because we ran out of wax paper.  Those 300 pieces have been disbursed among friends, classmates and neighbors and now that we have more wax paper, I'll wrap up the rest - about a 2 lb. block.  Yum!


I don't remember why he stuck his tongue out (I think I asked him to) ... 
Maybe he was glad we ran out of wax paper.  Ha, ha, ha.  We really did have fun talking, laughing and reminiscing as we wrapped caramels.  
REALLY, we did.


On Tuesday night, my friend taught me how to make lollipops.  
I thought caramels were easy, lollipops are more so.  Seriously ... 


Here we are with a few of the results.


The lollipops didn't look perfect, but they tasted great and those willing to partake of the sugary, watermelony confection only ran a small risk of cutting their tongue open on one of the sharp edges.  SMALL.  MINUSCULE.  I don't even know why I'm mentioning the sharp edges ... As I said, they didn't look perfect, but they did taste delicious.  They're all gone and now I'm busy making more.  These don't have nearly as many sharp edges and so I'll be sending them to Utah with some friends.  So, dear family and friends, be prepared for the onslaught of sugar.  Lots and lots of sugar ... Maybe you could listen to selections from the Nutcracker and Transiberian Orchestra as you relieve us of unnecessary calories.

4 comments:

  1. Yum. There is nothing quite as good as Christmas candy. I've got a great Almond Toffee recipe that is so easy too. I just made it today! I wish I were there to partake of your sugary goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those caramels look so yummy! Do you have a great recipe you'd be willing to share?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would LOVE the recipe for those caramels!! iamjessicajones@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and by the way we got your Christmas card, thanks! We hang them all up on our wall and SO many people have commented on your beautiful family picture!

    ReplyDelete