There are many things we want to teach our children. Much of what we want them to learn/know is intuitive to human nature (I think). Things like love, learning, humbleness, loyalty, forgiveness, service ... stuff like that. Then there are those "other things" which for some reason or other is important to our family. Things that maybe we've seen other children may not have or understand, we want our kids to know. Lately, that "thing" falls under the "love" category. I feel like we are surrounded by broken families. Family's where parents speak to each other and of each other with such disdain it is painful to hear. The subject on which we focus is really a question (can a subject be a question?). The question we ask our children is: Do you know Mom and Dad love each other? I can't adequately explain the reason why we want our kids to know this. Maybe it's our way of providing a constant. Maybe we hope, by showing them their home life is normal and cared for in this respect, other troubles won't be so ... troublesome. (I think most parents try to provide a constant, right now, this is ours.)
Yesterday, after asking this question, B said: "Yes, I do. Because you talk to each other, spend a lot of time together and kiss on the lips." The last 4 words were said with a grimace (Ha!) ...
In a few weeks, the focus of what we want them to know may change. I'm willing to bet on it. Each week is so different that fluidity and flexibility is necessary. BUT, I'm getting ahead of myself. For now, making sure our kids know their Mom and Dad love each other is what we're going to cultivate.
We hope it's intuitive, but here's a reminder, just in case it was forgotten: We love our children. We focus on that subject everyday.
 |
| 2.24.2011 - Muffins with Mom @ B's Elementary School |
 |
| 11.2.2010 - Graduation Picture Day |
Love this post Amor. Love it!
ReplyDeleteI am reading a book now about child rearing and there's a big section about this in there. It makes your children feel loved when their parents love each other. Really interesting. Good focus to have I think.
ReplyDelete