Oz? Dorothy? Yellow Brick Road? Toto? Tornado? Ruby Red Slippers? The list goes on. I'm confident in my opinion that most people think something a long the lines of "The Wizard of Oz." (Some might say KU, but I'm pretty sure the "some" are locals.)
On our first full weekday of Spring Break, we headed to the Oz Museum in Wamego, Kansas. If you're ever near Wamego, drop in. Wamego is a charming little city. The Oz Museum, which boasts the largest privately owned collection of Wizard of Oz paraphernalia, was worth the drive. It was fun, especially for someone who grew up watching and re-watching the Wizard of Oz. (That someone is me).
We had a blast exploring this little bit of Americana, looking at illustrations from the books and learning more about the world created by Frank Baum. Love it or hate it, the story (especially the 1939 movie) is compelling.
We took pictures with each of the main characters ... Little Miss hated the walk through the forest and loved everything about Glinda (because of the pink). B-Man and I had fun taking goofy pictures. The Mr. had fun looking at the early editions of the books.
A seat in the Wizards chair brought the experience to an end ...
The Oz Museum was the last thing on our Kansas to-do list. It's not so much as a "to-do" list as it is a "to-visit" list. We have yet to see a tornado - from a distance, of course. Maybe we'll take "see a tornado" off our list and watch the Wizard of Oz, instead. Maybe ...




Oh, the fun memories of the Oz Museum. I found it very interesting. My kids found it boring after a while :) They didn't appreciate all the interesting trivia. I'm glad Little Miss wasn't too traumatized by the forest(I'm sure you'd be shocked to know it was my boys' favorite part:), Kevin hates the flying monkeys!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! We never made it there, but we did see a tornado once...
ReplyDeletemiss you guys :)