Thursday, January 28, 2010

I am the mother of the year


Let me tell you why this day solidifies my status as mother of the year:

1. Helping B make cupcakes for his birthday party at school ... I was reminded once again why I am not a baker ...

2. ... I'm sure there was something else ...

Here's the kicker, with a preface:

I decided to nap with Little Miss because I haven't been sleeping well or feeling well (Little Miss has switched from a crib to a big girl bed and let's just say, the transition has not gone as smoothly as hoped for) ... To the kicker:

3. I was asleep when I was supposed to pick B up from school. The school called my home phone and my cell phone to no avail ... They were able to get a hold of my Mr. who luckily was not in class and was able to pick up B up at 4. Four! 1/2 an hour AFTER school is let out.

I FEEL WRETCHED.

B didn't mind at all. Quite honestly, he didn't even notice. Tears were shed (mine of course, B looked on in confusion ...) and many hugs and apologies were made. Tomorrow I get to apologize at school. I just hope they don't judge me by this moment ... So now you know why ...

I am the mother of the year.


(Update Feb. 1, 2010 ... Sorry about the suckiness of this blog entry.  By suckiness, I mean energy sucking.  Everything is fine at B's school.  They were neither angry nor annoyed.  B's teacher said he helped her make copies and talked her ear off.  The secretary said, "It sounds like you needed and deserved a nap.  Don't you even worry about it."  After conversing with them, I felt much better.  Thanks for the great and uplifting comments!)

6 comments:

  1. Don't be so hard on yourself! I know of a lot of moms that's happened to, and I'm sure it'll happen to me soon enough. And don't feel bad for taking a nap, often they are simply needed. I think you're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, I could name lots of things "mothers of the year" do and it is nothing like what you did! (You know I mean that you could have done a LOT WORSE, right?) No worries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking that Megan could come up with some real winners... :) Well, at least the emergency system was tested and you got some extra sleep and B didn't even mind. Don't you worry one more tiny little bit, you're amazing. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been there done that. My question is...are you prego?? I was when it happened to me. So dead to the world asleep. Jared happened to call about 3:50. By the time I got down to the school Brayden had been crying for some time. He kept asking me, "How come you didn't come get me, how come you forgot?" I felt terrible. I too have had the same title...Mother of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh you silly girl, don't worry!! TRUST me, we've all been there and if not, yet, then it WILL happen one day (or more) ;)

    hope you start feeling better and getting more rest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It happens to all moms at least once! And you never forget. One error that still plagues me is sending my first grader off to school, without remembering it was picture day. I think I let him dress himself and the hair was a disaster. Now I have that school picture to remind me of how dead tired I was then, mother of 4 and a new infant.

    ReplyDelete