Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Teacher

3 years of law school are coming to a close and we're faced with the possibility of moving.  After picking B-Man up from school today, I asked him a few questions to gauge how moving might affect him.  The following is a snippet of that conversation.  

Me:  "B, do you like your school?"
B:  "Yeah, I do."
Me:  "Would you be sad if you moved?"

PAUSE.  I thought the pause was interesting because to me, it indicated he was thinking and not merely answering.  

B:  "If we moved, I'd still be happy."  
Me:  "Why would you still be happy?"
B:  "When we left Salt Lake City, I was sad.  But when we got here, I realized it was the same as Salt Lake City."  
Me:  "Why is it the same?"
B:  "Because I made friends.  It doesn't matter where we live because we will keep our friends and make more friends."  

Maybe it's because I'm a sap, but hearing his reasoning brought happy tears to my eyes.  I know he loves his school and his teacher, so hearing him say he'd be happy ANYWHERE ... I can't eloquently explain it ... Basically, in a short conversation, he reminded me about that special place from which true happiness originates.  With the stress our little family has been experiencing, the reminder was a welcome one.  

Teachers come in all shapes, sizes and AGES.  Our children reaffirm that fact nearly every day. 

Baseball with friends on FHE night.

3 comments:

  1. WOW - what a wise son you have on your hands!!! That's an attitude that will take him far in life. Good luck on your post-law school adventures. I can't believe it's already been three years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love little B. He is truly precious.
    Do you guys know where you are headed yet? What's the timeline?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a good boy. Maybe I should have brought him to clean with us :)

    I love the look on his face in this pic. Happy concentrating!

    ReplyDelete